Thursday, June 25, 2015

Point of Personal Privilege

The following is more of a reflection on an encounter today and less about the workings of GC.  

At our opening Eucharist this morning I was invited to sit with some colleagues with whom I went to seminary.  This is one of the great parts of GC, that its really one big family reunion.  Right after I sat down, a Bishop and his wife joined us.  My colleagues and the Bishop have had a pastoral relationship and I just happen to be sitting between them.  That said, the Bishop is one I have met several times because his child was also a classmate of mine at seminary.  Our worship began and all of us used our ipads to follow along.  Even as a young person, that was somewhat surreal and there was some conversation between myself and the Bishop about how well the change was working.  The Bishop seemed thoroughly excited about the possibilities that ipads might have a place in our pews.  After a rather chaotic distribution of communion, we all returned to our seats and the Bishop dug in his bag and pulled out a very worn and used Book of Common Prayer.  He held it gingerly and thumbed through it with great care and a humble, personal display of devotion.  It was like watching two old friends saying hello, with love and joy in being together again.  At this point I leaned over and said, "As good as the ipads are, those are better, right?" and the Bishop, placing his hand on the book, responded with the gentleness of a father not wanting to disturb the slumber of a newborn baby, "There's just something about them."  After that he pulled out a small bible even more worn and used.  It fell open to a page with a small piece of paper stuck in it.  The paper was covered with names.  The Bishop looked over the names and then leaned across me to my colleague, handing her the paper and pointing out her name.  He said, "My prayer list." 

I have been very blessed in my life to have spent a good deal of time around Bishops who have exemplified not only a Godly life but a deep and personal sense of faith.  This morning was one of those moments, where I was welcomed in to an intimate experience of spiritual witness.  I was left with tears in my eyes as I watched a Bishop live out his commitment to the church and his faith in Jesus in small but important ways.  The Episcopal Church is blessed by these Bishops, both men and women, who have devoted their lives to being an example of love and grace, humility and integrity.  These are the people who lead our church.  These are the people who teach us about the transforming love of God that we can experience if we are only willing to commit our lives to the spiritual practice of being disciples. I was blessed this morning to one more time receive the gift of love and devotion to Jesus Christ.  

As we stood after the post communion prayer for the Presiding Bishop's blessing, the Bishop looked at me and pointed at the PB, saying, "that is what giving your life to the church looks like." Indeed it does and indeed giving my life to the church and to Jesus Christ is easier when I have such faithful witnesses. 




No comments:

Post a Comment